MRS. MARIA’S WEEKLY RECIPE: ZUCCHINI ROLLATINI
Serving 4 rolls : 318 Cals
Zucchini Rollatini is a delicious, cheesy, veggie-loaded dish! Made with strips of grilled zucchini stuffed with a basil-cheese filling, then rolled and topped with marinara, mozzarella and baked in the oven until the cheese is hot and melted.
· 2 large, 14 oz each zucchini, cut lengthwise into 12 (1/4-inch thick) slices
· 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
· fresh black pepper, to taste
· 1 cup quick marinara sauce
· 1 large egg
· 2/3 cup part skim ricotta cheese
· 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving
· 1/4 cup chopped basil
· 1 garlic clove, minced
· 3/4 cup 3 oz shredded mozzarella
1. Preheat the oven to 400F. Spread 1/4 cup marinara sauce on the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
2. Cut the zucchini lengthwise, into 1/4-inch thick slices until you have a total of 12 slices about the same size. It’s easiest to do this with a mandolin.
3. Season both sides of the zucchini with 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, then grill on a grill pan over high heat to help dry out the zucchini, until pliable and grill marks form, but not fully cooked, about 2 minutes on each side.
4. In a medium bowl, beat the egg then mix together with ricotta, Pecorino Romano, basil, garlic, 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
5. Spread the ricotta mixture (about 1 1/2 tablespoons each) evenly onto each zucchini slice, spreading to cover.
6. Roll up slices and arrange them each seam side down in the prepared dish. Top each with 1 tbsp marinara sauce and 1 tbsp mozzarella cheese and tightly cover with foil.
7. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is hot and melted.