MRS. MARIA’S WEEKLY RECIPE: CHICKEN AND AVOCADO SOUP
Serving: 1 3/4 cups :
Avocados, chicken, scallions and cilantro in a light broth with a touch of lime. If you are an avocado lover like me, you'll love this soup.
· 2 tsp olive oil
· 1-1/2 cups scallions, chopped fine
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 medium tomato, diced
· 5 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
· 2 cups shredded chicken breast, 12 oz
· 8 ounces from 2 small ripe avocados, diced
· 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
· 4 lime wedges
· kosher salt and fresh pepper, to taste
· 1/8 teaspoon cumin
· pinch chipotle chili powder, optional
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add the oil, 1 cup of scallions and garlic. Sauté about 2 to 3 minutes until soft then add the tomatoes and sauté another minute, until soft.
3. Add chicken stock, cumin and chili powder and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered on low for about 15 minutes.
4.In four bowls, fill each with 1/2 cup chicken, 1/2 avocado, remainder of the scallions, and cilantro. Ladle 1 cup chicken broth over the chicken and serve