- Andrea Tavares
MRS. MARIA’S WEEKLY RECIPE: BAKED CAULIFLOWER "MAC" AND CHEESE
1 1/4 cups: 233 Cals
Cheesy Baked Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese is perfect when you're craving macaroni and cheese–without the pasta! It's lower in carbs and each bowl has a healthy amount of vegetables and protein!
8 cups chopped cauliflower florets, 1/2-inch pieces (26 oz)
1 tbsp Real California butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup minced onion
3 tbsp flour, use ap gluten-free flour for GF
2 cups fat free Real California milk
7 ounces freshly grated Real California sharp cheddar, about 2 cups total
1/2 teaspoons salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Place 1 inch of water in a large pot with 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook until tender crisp, 6 to 7 minutes. Drain and set aside in a large bowl.
3. Heat butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook about 2 minutes.
4. Stir in flour. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring continually 3 - 4 minutes, to cook out the flour.
5. Add the milk and continue whisking, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil and becomes smooth and thick, about 2 minutes stirring; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper.
6. Once it becomes thick, remove from heat completely onto another burner if possible. Add the cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup at a time mixing well until cheese is all melted.
7. Stir in cook cauliflower, then pour into a baking dish and bake until bubbly and golden,
about 15 to 20 minutes. Then broil 2 minutes, or until the top is slightly browned.